“How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.” — Annie Dillard, essayist
Our time IS our life. So, when we waste time, we are wasting life. There is nothing else like time – time is the only resource of its kind. Here are some interesting thoughts about time:
- Time is a personal resource. No one else can spend our own time.
- Time is a universal resource. Everyone has equal access to the same minute, hour and day.
- No one knows the size of their total time allocation.
- Time does not have a shelf life – you cannot store it in a bottle. It must be spent as it occurs.
- A unit of time is fixed. A minute can never be stretched into 61 seconds.
- Time marches on. It never pauses for us to catch up.
- Our only choice regarding time is how we spend it. We either spend it wisely or we waste it.
Productive people must understand time’s value more than most others because they seem to get more out of every hour.
“Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that’s the stuff life is made of.”
— Benjamin Franklin
“Timing” and “time” are often used interchangeably, which can lead to confusion.
“Do not wait; the time will never be just right.” — Napoleon Hill, author
Let me attempt to clarify. Time is a resource — timing is a relationship between an opportunity and the resource called time. When faced with an opportunity, some will say, “It’s a great opportunity, but the timing is bad.” To be more precise they should have said, “… the timing is bad for me.” While this is better, it could also be a misstatement. Maybe they meant to say something about their perceived value of the relationship between the opportunity and time. In other words, “I don’t see enough value to make this opportunity a priority in my schedule.” Perhaps they could have said, “I’m not capable of managing my time in order to claim this opportunity.” There’s at least one more possibility — the “lack of time” is simply a convenient excuse to hide their fear.
Maybe I didn’t hit the nail on the head. What I do know for sure is that whether or not timing is good, life’s circumstances intrude on our thoughts and our time. One man’s intrusion is another man’s opportunity.
© Copyright June 2008, Clancy Cross. All rights reserved.
Read more “Clancy’s Quotes” at: ClancyCross.WordPress.com