“The further you stray from your passion and purpose in life,
– Michelle Prince, “Busy Being Busy”, p. 16.
Very few people are 100% lazy. That is, everyone has something that they work hard at. I’ve come to the conclusion that the anti-lazy ingredient is called “fun.”
“It’s not hard to work hard when the work is fun.”
The question is, what makes something fun? Work is fun…
- when you can visualize a positive outcome beforehand
- when you are good at it
- when it brings you together with people you like
- when you are learning and improving
- when it makes other people happy
- when it is consistent with your sense of purpose
What’s both hard work and fun for you? Why do you enjoy it? What you learn from these questions might help you discover ways to turn drudgery into enjoyment without sacrificing productivity. In fact, you’ll probably see your productivity go up when you discover the fun. Try it, not just once. Try it until you find the fun.
“Employers understand that passionate employees
— “Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 2.0” by Levinson & Perry
Dale Carnegie (1888-1955), American writer, lecturer.